Job interviews can be a stressful experience for anyone. Sometimes the technical versions provide an even larger case of the butterflies, but what about a group interview? Is it the final gauntlet you have to take before scoring that great IT job?
There’s no need to fear a group interview of any size. Making a plan and sticking to it is a great way to ensure success!
A Group Interview is a Real Possibility
As today’s job market continues to get more competitive, group interviewing is a common practice as companies want to ensure they hire the best possible candidate. This trend is especially prevalent in IT, where firms want to see how you react in a stressful situation, as well as seeing how you interact with others.
Five Steps for Technical Group Interview Success
Following these few easy steps is a great way to prepare for and succeed on a group interview. Consider the exercise more of an audition than a traditional interview.
– Meaningfully interact with the other applicants. Show off your skills, but at the same time engage the other applicants in the room. This is a great way to display your abilities as a team player.
– Remember your body language. Your potential employer will pay close attention to your interactions, so focus on body language. Make eye contact, use a firm handshake, and don’t forget to smile–at both the interviewers and the other candidates.
– Don’t forget to listen. Remember that you aren’t the only one taking part in this interview. Listen carefully to the input provided by your competitors, and use their responses when it is your time to speak.
– Speak clearly and succinctly. Rambling on aimlessly during an answer is probably the biggest mistake you could make during a group interview. Make your responses clear and to the point.
– Research the company extensively. This step is also important during a one-on-one interview. Showing deep knowledge of the company is a great way stand out compared to other interviewees.
Don’t let an upcoming group interview stress you out. Make it a point to talk to your local recruiter to get their input into the group interview process. They can also offer advice and help you get prepared to land that job!
As one of the top technical staffing firms in the New York City area, APN Consulting has expert recruiters on staff to help you in your job search–including those dreaded group interviews! Schedule some time to talk to them today.